A Brief History of the Michigan Radiological Society
The first meeting of the Michigan Radiological society was on October 19th, 1921. The meeting was called by Dr. Preston M. Hickey for the purpose of organizing a local x-ray society and was attended by most of the practitioners of radiology in the Detroit area. The name “Detroit X-Ray and Radium Society“ was decided on by unanimous vote. The first president was Dr. Hickey and the group began to meet regularly under his leadership.
In 1952, the group (now named the “Detroit Roentgen Ray and Radium Society“) adopted an amendment to its constitution requiring certification by the American Board of Radiology or the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada for admission to the Society. In the same year, a merger with the Michigan Association of Radiologists created a truly state wide organization.
In 1954, the American College of Radiology requested that the Society send a councilor and alternate councilor from both the metropolitan and outstate areas to the annual council meeting, and appropriate individuals were nominated.
Preliminary discussions were held in 1964 to make the Society a chapter of the American College of Radiology. In 1966, a trial chapter was formed under the name of the “Detroit Roentgen Ray and Radium Society“.
On January 8, 1970, the name of “Michigan Radiological Society“, a chapter organization of the American College of Radiology, was adopted.
Since its inception, the Society has continued to promote and advance the science of Radiology and maintain the highest standards of radiological practice for the benefit of the people of the State of Michigan.
Note: the information in this summary is a “work in progress” and is in large part due to the kind attention of Larry Davis, George Kling, and especially E. Frederick Lang. Most of the facts are abstracted from a presentation given by Ray Gagliardi in 1974.
B.T. Weyhing III. M.D., FACR