Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
DIVERSITY, EQUITY and INCLUSION
Our vision is to achieve a radiology profession that celebrates diversity and actively promotes inclusion at all levels of training, practice and leadership.
Embrace and promote diversity and inclusion in radiology for the benefit of our patients, our profession, and the American College of Radiology.
- Increase awareness and recognition in our profession about the importance of diversity, equity and inclusion
- Create a profession which is welcoming and inclusive for women and minorities underrepresented in medicine
- Improve professional opportunities for women and underrepresented minorities in our field
- Identify mentoring opportunities for young women and underrepresented minorities interested in the radiological sciences
- Give back to our patients through community outreach events designed to educate and improve healthcare access
Trending Articles and Resources
Did you know that the The AAWR, SCARD, APDR and APDIR all support 12 weeks of parental leave for employees of a radiology practice (including residents)? Just passed at American College of Radiology (ACR) 2022, is the following resolution regarding family leave:
“The ACR recommends that diagnostic radiology, interventional radiology, radiation oncology, medical physics and nuclear medicine practices and departments strive to provide 12 weeks of paid family/medical leave in a 12-onth period for their attending physicians, medical physicists, and members in training, as needed.”
The Society of Chairs of Academic Radiology Departments has a similar statement of support for paid parental leave: https://www.jacr.org/article/S1546-1440(18)31594-1/fulltext
If you are in training, let your Program Director know about the APDR-approved parental leave statement by sharing the following link: https://www.aawr.org/Portals/10/AAWR_BODandPastPresidentsSupportingAPDRR_APDIRstatements_FINAL.pdf
Additionally, the following Radiographics article discusses how practices can embrace diversity and create a work environment supportive of the unique needs of women in radiology: https://pubs.rsna.org/doi/full/10.1148/rg.2018180023